The ‘awaiting’ is over

By Brittany Green

World-renowned performance artist Ernesto Pujol, the Warnock artist-in-residence at the department of art and art history, will be leading overnight group performance beginning Thursday at about 5:30 p.m. The performance, titled “Awaiting,” is a collaboration between Pujol, students at the U and local artists.

Pujol has been teaching a master workshop to both graduate and undergraduate students at the U, as well as select members of the public. These students will convene for only this performance.

“Awaiting” will begin with 40 white-clad silent individual walkers emerging from the city’s rush-hour traffic and making their way to the Utah State Capitol’s south stairs, where they will begin ascending and descending the Capitol’s steps, creating a “great biblical Jacob’s ladder,” according to the press release.

The performance will last until sunrise, when the silent walkers will disappear back into the city’s streets. The performance will be accompanied by a subtle soundtrack, written by Utah artist Rosi Hayes for Pujol’s meditative piece. The piece hopes to encourage individual reflections on the theme of waiting.

The event is free and open to the public, and anyone is encouraged to visit the Capitol steps as the walkers arrive and as they leave at 7 a.m. Docents will be available to answer questions about the performance.

A free post-performance discussion, “On the Other Side of Silence,” will be held with Pujol and the performers April 21, at 6 p.m. at the Utah Museum of Fine Arts.
For more information on the performance, visit www.awaitinginsaltlakecity.com.

b.green@chronicle.utah.edu