March for ‘youth, equality, justice’

Marchers, consisting of students from the University of Utah and community members, gathered to march from East High School to Kingsbury Hall on Monday, January 20th. Colby Patterson
Marchers, consisting of students from the U and community members, gathered to walk from East High School to Kingsbury Hall on Monday in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. Photo by Calvin Chhour.

Community members chanted “Martin Luther King, celebrate the dream” at a march on Monday that spanned from East High School to the U.

This weekend marks the 30th year of the March for Youth celebration, which celebrates the life of civil rights luminary Martin Luther King, Jr. The group of marchers included adults and children, with participants holding signs for racial, marriage and immigration equality.

Opening remarks were given by Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker. He spoke of King as a person of peace and nonviolence.

“March for youth, march for equality and justice, and help Salt Lake City achieve the dream of Martin Luther King, Jr.,” Becker said.

The program began with a rendition of the national anthem by ASUU vice president Sara Seastrand.

Keith McDonald, student in communication and ethnic studies at the U and a reporter at The Daily Utah Chronicle, is the most recent recipient of the Pastor France A. Davis Scholarship. He spoke at the march of his gratitude for the scholarship and encouraged more participation in the Black Student Union.

Pastor France A. Davis, a professor of ethnic studies, spoke last and said celebrating this movement for the rest of the week is important. He reminded the public that although the U.S. has come a long way, the country still has a long way to go.

The closing remarks of this event were given by Sam Ortiz, ASUU President.

“Martin Luther King is my hero,” Ortiz said.

He hopes students will honor King this week and “go out there and work — be on the front lines.”

e.trepanier@chronicle.utah.edu